Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Quotes and Durians

Want to kill a few weeks' worth of time? Well, look no further than Wikiquote!

As an aperitif, I suggest you move straight on to what A. R. Wallace's contemporaries had to say about his odes on Durians:

The durian — neither Wallace or Darwin agreed on it.
Darwin said 'may your worst enemies be forced to feed on it.'
Wallace cried 'it's delicious.'
Darwin replied 'I'm suspicious,
For the flavour is scented
Like papaya fermented
After a fruit-eating bat has pee'd on it.

After that, you're on our own. Don't say I didn't warn you.

2 comments:

Warren said...

I can't stand it. I've tried fresh durian, frozen durian, durian sausage, durian chips, durian everything. It still makes me gag. Why do I keep trying it? Excellent question!

Twoton said...

I take it you've tried all that in its native habitat? Durian is like Guinness: transported outside its native realm, it tastes like transmission fluid.